Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to cut burlap

I am not a fan of burlap at the moment, but only because we used it to make my sister's shower invitations and it makes a huge mess and smells a bit funky!

I originally gave my mom the task of cutting the burlap into strips. Well that did not work so well because we did not realize there is a WAY to cut burlap and in case you do not know how, here is how you do it! We were even considering ordering burlap ribbon because it did not look nice once cut! But this easy trick saved us the $20 for a roll of burlap ribbon!

Determine where you want to make your cut and pull out a piece of the string as shown below. Continue to work the entire string all the way out.
Then you have a nice line where you can make your cut!
Use your sharp scissors to cut along this new line!
Look no fraying!
And now you have a nice piece of burlap!

9 comments:

  1. I was just cutting burlap today for a lampshade and was thinking it's such a pain. What a great idea! I'm a new follower coming over from the Midwest Bloggers page. Hope you stop by too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I took a picture of the first attempt, but could not find it. This REALLY made it much easier! Thanks for the follow! I can't wait to check out the blogger group and your blog!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice idea! I'm your newest follower, I found you at the Midwest Bloggers page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!I can't wait to check out your blog!! I am excited about the bloggers group!

      Delete
  3. This is good to know! I just found you through the Midwest blogger group:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I can't wait to check out to explore the other bloggers on the midwest group!!! I haven't had the time yet :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you, I never knew burlap was so hard to work with until I started trying to make bows! Now I can't wait to play with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME TIP! Thanks for this :) I was struggling with the burlap on a project I was working on as well and had to walk away several times haha. I'm your newest follower! You blog is so cute, I can't wait to explore more!
    xo Jess
    {www.CraftyNonsenseNoted.com}

    ReplyDelete